keep out. it's boring.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

feather fragments # 13: February

happy belated birthday, Toby

*****************

(This part should be in ff#12, attunement. Remembered it after posting that entry. Putting it here due to laziness.)

It was just another normal day of dinner. My parents are awfully busybody. They never fail asking who i am with every time i go out. To prevent complications, i told them about what was gonna happen at the 14th. ( i have a taboo from experiences that if i told someone that I'm gonna have a date, it will be canceled at the last minute) However, around that time, my mum sent my car to repair the exterior damages on it that i usually ignored when she requested me to do so personally. Damn the... luck. My family was still left with two cars, my dad's camry and a kelisa. Considering the transport for a valentine's date, the latter would be a ripoff. After building up some courage, i actually asked if i could use my dad's car so that i wouldnt feel so small driving to Siren's corner house just to see both of her family's car are far superior than what she's gonna be in on such a date. Permission denied. I finished the dinner quite silently then after.

Oh and i bought a nike water bottle when shopping as a present for Toby.

********************
I told my closer friends that i might meet Siren after work while attending Toby's birthday gathering, much to their shock. I was warned that it might be ackward and it wouldn't be fresh for us to converse with each other with too much time spent together in such a short period. The element of surprise would be lesser. It didn't occur to me at all. Honestly, i didnt really understand them either. What's wrong with seeing her as a friend, then as a date/friend-again? Perhaps i was too green at this. Upon hearing that, i felt a wee bit of paranoia. Therefore I clarified myself of these cynical thoughts by reminding myself the fact that i never thought of it before.

When we were dismissed at work, those who knew about me wished me good luck and i responded to them with a smile so wide that i couldn't do it now looking at the mirror no matter how hard i try. A few of them told me to go back to change but i opted punctuallity over appearence, as for that scenario. Firstly i had to fetch Siren to Fung's place. Secondly we thought we had to get the birthday cake. Lastly i had already prepared quite something for the next day and i didnt look that crude at that time.

Due to friday traffic i wasnt as punctual as i thought i would be. We scouted around her housing area for cakes. We almost decided on a specific cake to buy only to find out from Fung that some gal actually presented Toby the cake. Laughing at our blunder, Siren suggested that we get some donuts because it would be sort of disrespectful to show up empty handed.

She wore a top with red and white stripes with jeans. Makeup was moderate but she put on some perfume. My bad knowledge on perfumes was taking its toll on me because i couldn't remember if its the one i gifted her on her birthday. Shamelessly i complimented her scent crudely and even asked Siren what fragrance was she wearing. My shame amplified upon hearing her answer. I wasnt told the name, her answer was just something that some friend gave her. Thus no further statements were made regarding this matter. I actually came across this thought that the scent belonged to the aqua blue bottle.

Along the way i told her about the favourite song of my life. Obviously she never remembered. That's a good bad sign.

Although we were late, we reached Fung's place before Lenalee and boyfriend. We were invited into Fung's room for a brief moment. While waiting, Fung and Toby were watching some American sitcom comedy that i didnt recognize. All the guys present laughed at the funny parts, but Siren seemed to force a smile out to go with the flow. Can she comprehend the joke? She's not very westernized huh? Would that be an obstacle if miracle happens? (last question is a fantasy question and must be ignored at all costs.)

Around ten minutes everybody arrived and were good to go. Fung asked if the group was going in two cars or three cars. Definitely six people would fit into two cars. I felt somehow Fung knew about my intentions. (I was told about the Twilight incident by Toby in distant future.) To prevent myself from feeling the potential bitterness that only i would feel slightly if someone else said 'two cars', i said so myself. Two cars. My car isn't as comfortable as Fung's anyway.

The original destination seafood restaurant wasn't open at that day, so we ended up in one of its competitors. The group and i had let myself stick pretty close to Siren. I think. I wonder if she despised every moment of it. Nonetheless i remembered cracking some crab shells for her. I will remember that moment always so that i can brag about it if she somehow becomes famous.

After depleting the food, we mutually agreed that the place is too shabby for a birthday song or a present opening session. (Toby took a sneak peek though.) Subsequently i suggested that we go to E-gate for that. They complied for not having any other ideas at all.

While in the car travelling towards E-gate, Fung unsuspectingly popped the question 'would we be free tomorrow for a singing session?'. Anticipating tomorrow so eagerly, i was dumbstruck. I wished i knew telepathy to find out what was in Siren's mind. But it wasn't needed- she answered 'yeah' almost directly. I gave her a stern glance and look at the front again realising I shouldn't be making the situation worse. She didn't remember about tomorrow? I struggled to clear my throat and braved myself to say 'no' in weak effort. The car suddenly felt so silent although there were music playing. I attempted to look at Siren again. She didn't notice. I swallowed a gulped, crossed my fingers and reminded myself to be optimistic. Luckily Fung broke the silence by asking on a different day, Sunday. Couldn't be more thankful. Now i can say 'yeah', in the same tone as Siren did. Finally i understood what my friends were warning me about.

We played quite a number of socializing games in 3G, after doing the same ritual of what a normal birthday would be. Neither Siren nor I wanted to drink, but we were reluctantly forced to do so to not spoil the hype of the game as losers were punished to drink. Oh, and another thing to brag about if Siren becomes a celebrity, because we shared the same drinking glass, and everyone else was having their individual glasses. Hurray for something that was actually nothing!

Spent a few hours there laughing at each other, we were tired enough to call it a day. Either it was intentionally or unintentionally i don't know, but Fung asked Toby ONLY what would himself and him be doing tomorrow. Fung avoided asking me or Siren at all even when Siren asked both of them the same question and teased them for possibly hiding their dates. Thank god she didn't ask me. I'll be damned if she did.

Finally i was alone with her again, shortly just to drop her back. Reminded her. Green light. Good night. It was then she told me her stay in Penang will be extended by one week. It was a good thing then. I wonder if it still is judging from now.

tbc..

2 comments:

toby said...

thank you thank you for the bday wish...hahaha....though i am sorry...=D

toby said...

anyway...i wanna know that girl in 3G!!!! can can? go know her for me....hahahaha